When you are actively involved in sports, protecting your mouth becomes especially important. Injuries to the mouth and jaws are frequent occurrences and may affect your smile for life. You may want to consider obtaining a mouth guard if you play the following sports:
- Martial arts
- Track and field
- Skiing or snowboarding
- Water polo
- Weight lifting
We presently offer three different types of mouth guards. Each type of the appliance helps to protect the oral region including teeth and gums.
- Pre-made mouth guards
- Boil-and-bite mouth guards
- Custom-made mouth guards
Every device is well fitted, durable and easy to maintain at home. It is uniquely important for individuals who wear braces and retainers, as the piece protects the fragile wires and plastic components. The well-designed mouth guard does not in any way interfere with the breathing process while it protects the teeth. Every patient is given a set of specific instructions on how to properly install and remove the mouth guard, along with daily at-home care.
Several important steps should be followed to properly maintain your mouth guard and extend the life of the device. With correct care, your mouth guard will not need to be replaced as often, and will provide the perfect fit and protection while playing sports.
- After each use, the appliance should be scrubbed with toothpaste and a toothbrush. It may also be immersed in a mouthwash to sanitize it and create the feeling of freshness.
- Store the device in its protective case to prevent it from gathering dust and debris, and to keep it warping.
- To avoid deformation, the mouth guard should be kept in a cool spot away from the sun and hot water.
- If, with extended use the mouthguard becomes ill-fitting, it should be replaced with a new one. It is also recommended to obtain a new appliance at the beginning of each sport season.
- Wearing a retainer and a mouth guard at the same time is not advised. If you presently wear braces, a special unit can be fabricated to accommodate the wires and brackets.
- Food consumption should be avoided when wearing a mouth guard.
- We encourage our patients to bring their mouth guard to each dental visit to ensure proper fit and function.
To redeem your Complimentary Oral Appliance Consultation, simply complete the form below, and our treatment coordinator will call you to schedule your visit.